Many people are great DIY doers in and around the house. Lots of projects turn out great with decks, patios, painting, remodels, landscaping, automotive, and a bunch of other ideas. Electric work, or anything to do with electricity, is another matter. For most jobs and most DIY’rs, the dangers of working on your own electrical projects outweigh the benefits of DIY’ing it. Potential dangers include injury, fire, major damage, a bigger problem than you started out with and details you might not think of like insurance and codes. The most important thing to remember is working with electricity without proper experience, education and equipment is a danger to you and your family.
Here are some of the main dangers or issues from doing your own electrical work.
Electric shocks are one of the most common causes of on-the-job fatalities among construction workers. Pros have, or at least should have, the best training, tools and gear, and they run into accidents and dangers. When an amateur tries to bite off more than they can chew, the risk becomes even higher. A risk of shock or electrocution may only take one instantaneous accident to be a bad, tragic situation.
The chances of creating damage to something you’re intending to fix is higher if you don’t have the education or experience needed. Damage might be to the electric system itself, another device or appliance, or be an accident which causes destruction to the whole property.
When you work with electric wiring, you risk frying specific appliances or perhaps melting the cords behind the wall surfaces. This can be especially true if you select the incorrect size electrical wiring or circuits for your system. That can result in pricey home appliance replacements and then a significant electrician job that is much greater than the issue you started with.
This is one of the most major accidents which can be from improperly done electrical work. Melting cables or cords that are not joined correctly can cause a spark or short that will trigger a disastrous fire. Most of house fires are brought on by malfunctioning electronics, so it’s not worth the danger or risk to try out a DIY experiment with electricity. It’s best to call a licensed, expert pro to take care of it for you.
If tragedy strikes, many homeowner’s insurance policies will be voided if the cause of a fire or damage is found to be from unlicensed work. If the work is being done by a licensed, certified professional, insurance claims should be upheld. Major electrical work to your property is required to be inspected and pass building codes. Employing licensed technicians is the best and most straightforward way to know you’re following insurance policy rules and legal codes.
When you try doing electrical repairs on your own, you place you and your family at risk. When doing electrical repair work electrocution, shock and fires are possibilities. The electrical system and all the electric devices in a home have different voltages, states of condition and components a DIY’s might have varying knowledge of.
Junction boxes and electric connections may be difficult to work around. Because these parts are typically built and meant to be out of sight, the likelihood of making a mistake or litereally or figuratively getting shocked by them goes up.
Fires, shocks or surges can occur as a result of defective wiring and they can happen long after the DIY project. Faulty electrical wiring creates shorts which can spark a fire. Faulty work can go unseen for years until a disaster strikes perhaps due to the work long ago.
Electricians go through training and education for years, and continually gain more experience and keep licenses and certifications up to date throughout their careers.
A new electrician completes 600 hours or more of education on subjects such as safety, electrical circuits and technical knowledge. Electricians also do first-hand training with a more master, experienced electrician as part of their training and career growth.
These requirements for being a certified electrician show the importance of safety and education. The work is difficult and precise even for someone with years of work in the field. Watching YouTube videos or asking questions at a hardware store is not the same level.
It might seem like shutting off the power to complete electrical repair work is all that is required to be safe. When you turn everything on again, you or a loved one could discover a problem and a very bad accident.
Electrical experts are educated on how to minimize hazards and complete jobs safely. They know what components and wiring needs to be used for certain situations or uses. For a DIY job, safety procedures and technical expertise are complicated to know and carry out.
Another concern with DIY electrical projects is passing, or even getting, inspections after the work. If you did electrical work on your home which needs an inspection and permit approval, you will need a licensed electrical inspector to come to the house, inspect the work and approve it. This process could result in failed work which must be redone anyway. If you do work, do not get it inspected, then have a code violation later, you could be penalized with fines.
Selling the Home
If you’re selling the home, and there have been DIY electrical jobs over the years, maybe it’s all turned out ok. During home inspections during a real estate transaction, it’s highly probable work done without inspections or work which fails code rules will be found. This could lead to time lost, money lost and maybe even the sale lost.
When is it a Good Time to Call an Electrician? Your best bet? Hire an expert to do the job. South End Electric has the background and understanding to ensure a safe and smooth installation. We can provide everything you need when thinking about a whole home generator for your home and family. Our professionals provide whole-house generator sales and installation to meet your needs. See everything South End Electric can do for you. Call us direct at 704-368-4694.